Happiness is not a station to arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
-Margaret Lee Runbeck

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Latest Thompson Family Addition



I know I am back tracking a little, but oh well. Brooke was born Sunday, October 12, 2008 at 4:35 a.m. She is a great blessing to our family. My due date with Brooke was November 7, but I have always been early, so that really didn't mean much. I carried Brooke the longest and she is our biggest baby!! Here is how she joined our family. I was sound asleep and Tyler came and woke me up and told me he had to go to the bathroom, I sat up, thinking since I was up, I might as well go myself. I stood up and my water broke, it was 2:45 a.m.!! Tyler went back to bed, I woke Troy up, I called my Mom and Dad, they came up, and we headed for the hospital. I did not have any contractions until we hit the top of Freeze Out and that's when they began and they were constant and hard the entire way over to St. Luke's. Luckily, Troy called the hospital to let them know we were coming--they were prepared for us. We got there and a nurse was outside the elevators waiting for us and I was completely dilated at that point. There were numerous nurses that came in and helped prep me for surgery. Brooke was my fifth c-section. We got to the hospital at 3:55 a.m. and it was all pretty much a whirl wind. Brooke was born 40 minutes later!! It was a long 40 minutes with steady and hard contractions, let's just say I was happy to see the "anesthesia guy!!" After the third try--he finally got my spinal to work--I'm not sure what the problem was but it wasn't so handy!! I was very happy when it began working. Brooke was then born at 4:35 a.m. She weighed 6 lbs 5 oz and was 19 3/4 inches long--JUST PERFECT!! The NICU nurses checked her out and she passed!! Brooke got to go the recovery room with us!! I was soooo happy!! As many of you know, Emily and Kara were both NICU babies, so we were VERY excited that Brooke was only 4 weeks early and completely healthy!! Her blood sugar was a little low, but once she ate, that jumped up right away. After spending an hour or so in the recovery room, we were off to our own room. We stayed at the hospital until Tuesday night--we then headed home!! Brooke weighed 5 pounds 14oz when we left the hospital. Brooke also had to take the little car seat test because she was 4 weeks early--she passed!! Tyler, Brandon, Kara, and Emily stayed with Grandma Brinkerhoff-we stopped off there to pick them up. They were all very excited to see their new baby sister. Emily was the one that struggled the most with Brooke--Emily felt like she kind of got replaced as "the baby." Life is busy with five, but we feel very blessed to have Brooke apart of our Family.

No comments: